Day 25: Five daily prayers for the Muslim world
By Jordan Rowley
, spiritual coordinator, Climbing For Christ
All over the world, as the sun appears to travel across the sky and then sinks below the horizon, Muslims perform their ritual prayers, known as “Salat
.” Five times each day, for almost their entire lives, followers of Islam stop what they are doing, cleanse themselves, and offer prayers to Allah.
takes place before sunrise (fajr
), noon (dhuhr
), mid-afternoon (’asr
), sunset (maghrib
) and in the evening before going to bed (’isha
I would like for all of us to be challenged – be it for one day, one week or one month – to pray five times a day for our Muslim neighbors around the block and around the globe! That’s right, for however long the Lord would lead you, would you commit to praying for the Muslim world at the exact time many of them are performing salat
Here are some suggested prayer points, but please feel free to follow wherever the promptings of the Spirit of God lead your time!
Sunrise prayer for open eyes.
Just as a newborn baby sees light for the first time, may many Muslims become born again as they open their eyes to the Light of the world, Jesus. Just as one who awakes from dark to the dawn of a new day, may many followers of Islam awake from spiritual darkness to a new life in Christ!
At this time, pray for a spiritual awakening of the soul and opening of the eyes for our Muslim neighbors.
“The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in the land of the shadow of death, upon them a light has shined.” – Isaiah 9:2
Noon prayer for open ears.
May the Lord grant followers of Islam all over the world ears that are open to His glorious message of the Gospel. No matter how long or how zealously ears have been closed to the Good News, may the Holy Spirit unlock those deaf ears that they would hear the words of life.
Pray now for many Muslims to stop and listen for the still, small voice of the Lord as they seek truth!
“The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry.” – Psalm 34:15
Mid-afternoon prayer for open hearts.
Our Great Physician is the master heart surgeon. Only He can take a heart of stone hardened, perhaps over many years, and transplant it with a brand-new heart that is soft and gentle. May the Lord “operate” in the hearts of many Muslims right now, at this very moment.
At this time, pray that God would stir their hearts to put their faith in Jesus.
“I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.” – Ezekiel 36:26
Sunset prayer for open minds.
As the light of the day begins to fade, may the minds of Muslims begin to stir. May the Lord reveal His glorious splendor in all of His creation. May He display the truth of His word to all who believe the Bible to be corrupted.
Now, take a moment to pray that many Muslims would come to understand that Jesus is Savior!
“This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind… and be renewed in the spirit of your mind” – Ephesians 4:17, 23
Evening prayer for open mouths.
This late in the evening, the world is quieting down. May many former Muslims and those involved in reaching out to followers of Islam do just the opposite. May they have mouths that contain the Gospel message. May they be bold in opening their mouths and speaking forth truth and love in ways that are unashamed and unreserved.
Pray for Christians to have a strong witness among the Muslims of the world.
“And for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel.” – Ephesians 6:19
Again, however long you commit to praying these five prayers for Muslims each day, know that prayer is the greatest thing we could possibly do because it sets our hearts in tune with the Lord’s and it unleashes His holy power! May our collective prayers avail much! Amen.
- Day 1: Introduction to 30 days of prayer and preparation to preach the Good News to the Muslim world.
- Day 2: Understanding Islam, part 1 —Allah and his prophet.
- Day 3: The honor/shame culture, part 1.
- Day 4: Sharing the Gospel, part 1 — Truth and love, no compromise.
- Day 5: The Muslim unengaged.
- Day 6: What’s so radical about loving Muslims?
- Day 7: Entering rooms in the House of Islam —Pakistan.
- Day 8: Entering rooms in the House of Islam — Nigeria.
- Day 9: Entering rooms in the House of Islam — Turkey.
- Day 10: Understanding Islam, part 2.
- Day 11: Sharing the Gospel, part 2 — Simply Jesus.
- Day 12: Overcoming obstacles, part 1 — Family, fear, community and tradition.
- Day 13: Something is happening! New ways for new movements.
- Day 14: Entering rooms in the House of Islam – East Africa.
- Day 15: Understanding Islam, part 3 — Beliefs and duties
- Day 16: Sharing the Gospel, part 3 — Persevering in prayer.
- Day 17: The honor/shame culture, part 2 — Who I am.
- Day 18: Overcoming obstacles, part 2 — A history of conflict and contempt.
- Day 19: Muslim extremists — praying for our enemies.
- Day 20: Entering rooms in the House of Islam —Indonesia.
- Day 21: The honor/shame culture, part 3 — For His purpose.
- Day 22: Sharing the Gospel with Muslims, part 4 — A growing opportunity.
- Day 23: A sacred stirring – Muslims coming to Christ in unprecedented numbers.
- Day 24: Counting the cost.
- Day 25: Five daily prayers for the Muslim world.